Sunday, February 8, 2015

My Google Docs Tutorial

To make my Google Docs tutorial I wasn't fully sure on which program would best suit the purpose of creating a short video compilation of screenshots. I didn't need a program or app which would be extremely intricate or complex, offering features that I would neither understand nor be capable of using because this would ultimately confuse me and would most likely have been aimed at more advanced users. I had wanted to use Microsoft Windows' Movie Maker as it appeared to be simple in layout and offer the key components necessary for my video tutorial. Unfortunately, it hadn't previously been installed on my PC and I therefore had to start from scratch in this process. My PC has recently undergone an upgrade to Windows 8.1 which I am rather unfamiliar with and I wasn't at all in my element. There were mishaps with Microsoft accounts, alerts and notifications about the instillation being from untrusted sources, multiple suggestions about boosting the computer's protection against viruses and many more worrying  encounters. When this process was complete, I couldn't find Movie Maker anywhere on my PC and was back to stage one. I attempted to repeat this process on my laptop as opposed to the PC but to no avail. At this stage I was beginning to accept that I wouldn't be able to do this without knowing how to install it properly, from a trusted site. I looked up tutorials of how to install this particular program and was rewarded with many search results. The process however revealed itself to be long and elaborate and I decided that I could no longer waste any more time on the program I had set my heart on and choose a less well known video-creator. 

Unfortunately, my laptop - a HP Pavilion g6-1232ea - doesn't hold any apps which would be useful for this task and a relatively resigned version of myself decided to use a website. I found a website fit for the purpose named 'WeVideo' and signed up using my personal Facebook details (though in hindsight, it would have made much more sense to have signed up with my Google Plus account as later on I would be handing in my assignment on Google Classrooms via Google Drive). 

Now that I had found a website, I gathered screenshots of different aspects of Google Docs that I wanted to use; At this point I experienced a power-cut and lost all of my work. This could have been easily solved had I only been using a cloud-based website in gathering them, especially when I was aware that Nepal is prone to power shortages. Prior to this experience however, this hadn't occurred to me, ironically considering that I had only just published a blog entry all about the benefits of Cloud Computing. Disgruntled, the next day, I repeated this process until I had reached the point I had previously arrived at and saved them.  I then uploaded them one by one to this website for usage in my video. The website proved perfect for my purpose - being free too - and I chose a basic blue template for the format and found a generic background music which seemed upbeat but wouldn't distract viewers. I cropped or lengthened the time each individual screenshot played for, placed them in the correct order, and added subtitled explanations of how each feature worked and edited until I was pleased and considered the tutorial ready for the finishing slide. I had considered recording over the slides so that it could cater sufficiently for both auditory and visual learners but I believe this would have made it too busy with both music, text, pictures, and effects, caused it to seem less professional altogether, and not worth the hassle when it might prove the polar opposite and be received as inconvenient or even disruptive.     

I submitted my finished copy of the tutorial but to the wrong place. When made aware of my mistake I corrected it and resubmitted it, a day late, to Google Classrooms, fairly pleased with the end product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment